28 February 2008

Things work out great when you don't expect it.

Sometimes when fate brings things together. The marriage of the perfect yarn and a fantastic pattern is one of those things that doesn't come around every day. For me, these things usually happen by accident. I started out thinking this yarn would be perfect for Hedera. I liked the idea of the ivy-based lace pattern in a green yarn. But those socks are top-down, and after I turned the heel and did the gusset on the first sock, I thought I wouldn't have enough yarn to finish it. Also, I just don't like the way top-down flap and gusset heels fit me.
So I decided to do something different with my other ball for the second sock. I searched for patterns, and remembered Charade, which I had seen before. I liked the pattern, because while it is written top-down, it seemed easily adapted to be toe-up. I started in on my toe-up Charades.
I blew through the first sock, but then needed my only pair of #1s to work on socks for theBoy. I actually lost the first sock in the time it took me to make the second one! By the time I did get the second one finished, my gauge was totally off from the first. The second sock is visibly bigger than the first but by the grace of the wool/elastic blend, it makes no difference when I wear them.
I love this yarn. It is mostly wool but you really wouldn't notice. It is so soft and smooth. And, oh, are they warm! The elastic makes them the most comfortable socks I have ever put onto my feet. If you have a problem with short row heels making it too tight across the heel/ankle, the elastic eliminates that.
The pattern is great, too. It's fantastic for variegated yarns. It's fun to knit. It's also easily customizable and adaptable because it's well-written.

What I'm trying to say is I really like these socks. I recommend both the pattern and the yarn one hundred percent. (Really, I am one picky bitch so it tells you something. I have never been so completely happy or liked a FO so much!)

Charades! crime scene-esque I am so in love. in your face point and flex

pattern: Charade by Sandra Park
yarn: Knit One Crochet Too's Soxx Appeal in colorway 3590, Jungle.
needles: Addi Turbo #1 1/2; 2.5mm
mods: I did them toe-up; one with a magic cast-on toe and one with a short-row toe with provisional crochet cast-on. I don't care that they don't match. Also, I substituted a short-row heel for the one in the pattern. And, instead of the 2x2 twisted rib, I did 1x1 twisted rib. I like it more.
[ravelry page]

No comments:

Post a Comment