26 January 2010
my girly Cobblestone sweater has finally come to fruition.
It took me a while, but I finally beat this yarn into submission. I'm so happy with it!
Pattern: Cobblestone by Jared Flood
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton Ease in Stone, 5 balls/ 1035 yards
Needles: US #6s/ 4.0 mm
Mods: I totally re-did the math for this. I read some other places that some ladies had got the pattern to work as-is in the smallest size, but with my gauge it just wouldn't work. I got out my copy of Vogue Knitting, and used the formula they have for bottom-up yoked sweaters. I was a pain in the ass, but 100% worth it. I also didn't do any of the yoke shaping in the pattern, which if I remember correctly is to make it longer/higher in the back than the front. There are short rows, I think. I probably could/should have, looking back. The neckline is a little wide, which should be ok. I also added waist shaping. Nothing too dramatic, but it is a must for a form-fitting sweater for me (otherwise they bunch/ride up around my waist).
I don't understand how this was designed to be a men's sweater because it is SO flattering on the female form. The garter stitch panel down the side is so figure-flattering.
I also feel compelled to say: THIS YARN SHRUNK IN THE DRYER. I know. It's cotton, of course it shrunk. It didn't shrink a lot, but enough to notice. Look at the difference in the first two pictures. First is washed, second is pre-wash. The main difference is in the length. I'll be hanging this to dry from now on.
Some incarnations of this sweater before everything got fixed:
And the horrible Molly Ringwald top that this yarn was before: